The Importance of Tongue Scraping
You may be spending money buying the best toothbrush and toothpaste in the market. They are inevitable necessities for better oral hygiene, but incomplete without a tongue scraper. Dr. Sahakyan, the best dentist of Burbank highlights the importance of keeping one at home always. Scraping and cleaning your tongue is of importance because just like your teeth, the tongue too attracts food debris. Therefore, keeping it clean and healthy helps ensure complete and effective oral hygiene.
Why Is Tongue Scraping Important?
A cleaner-looking tongue is not only necessary for better appearance, but it has several other benefits. Let’s define a few below:
- Our tongue is at work all day long, tasting all kinds of foods of different colors. Therefore, it tends to develop a whitish coat over its surface, which neither looks pleasant nor is healthy. This white coat builds up over time because of food particles getting stuck on to the tongue. Brushing may not find success in removing such particles from the tongue, therefore scraping is needed.
- Bad breath is a common dental problem with patients at My Dentist Burbank dental office. One of the most important contributors is an unclean tongue. The bacteria that reside at the back of the tongue are hard to reach by a toothbrush. And these bacteria cause bad odor to the breath.
- You might be surprised to know that a clean tongue is able to do its job much better. This means that after getting tongue scraping at the Burbank dentist office, you can taste various foods much better than before. Toxic mucus sticking to the tongue area can block your taste buds. This may sometimes prevent the ability to identify different food tastes at all.
- Many of us may be unaware that tongue is the first line of defense in overall immunity-building. This is because the toxic particles tend to enter the digestive system via the saliva route. They then get reabsorbed into the body and hamper the immune system as well.
- Along with immunity, you get all the more reason to even improve your digestive system. Dr. Sahakyan, your very own Burbank dentist, states that good digestion starts with taste. And since the tongue does this job, it’s important to keep it toxin-free. Besides that, scraping the tongue triggers the production of saliva and encourages Agni (digestive fire to facilitate the digestion process all day).
How Is Tongue Scraping Done?
The procedure is simple but professional guidance such as the one received from dentists and dental hyginists at My Dentist Burbank would do you more good. Once you’ve understood the process well at the dentist’s office, you can now try it at home. This is how you can go about it:
- The best time for tongue scraping is early morning on an empty stomach. It is believed that mouth bacteria are at work the maximum at night. When you wake up in the morning, stand in front of a mirror. Now use a tongue scraper and hold both its ends in both your hands. A tongue scraper is a small, rounded tool designed specifically for thorough tongue cleanings. You can easily find it at the nearest drugstore in Burbank.
- Stick your tongue out and place the scraper at the far end of the back of the tongue. Now apply gentle pressure and scrape the tongue surface in one long stroke.
- Rinse the scraper well after each scrape. Repeat the process until you attain the satisfaction that your tongue is clean and coat-free.
If you’re not sure about doing tongue scraping at home, you may call My Dentist Burbank on 1-818-578-2332 for an appointment.