The Dental Problems Caused by a Single Lost Tooth
Tooth loss is not uncommon. It’s easy to lose one (or many) to a number of conditions. These may include tooth or gum decay, or even injury/accident. Whatever may be the case, it’s not too important to focus on the loss here. Rather, what matters is the possible impact of the lost tooth on other adjoining teeth as well as overall oral health.
Dentists at My Dentist Burbank state that the loss of a single tooth can also cause several dental issues. Let’s understand the scope of the damage and how it can be prevented.
How One Lost Tooth Can Pose Dental Problems
- The recession of gums -As a result of missing teeth anywhere in the mouth, the jaw bone can begin to shrink. This may cause the gums to recede, thereby impacting the teeth lying on either side of the lost tooth. These teeth can start getting weak because of recession in the gum area. These weak teeth may also become vulnerable to dental issues like plaque and eventual tooth decay.
- Crooked teeth – The teeth adjacent to the lost tooth may be at risk of growing into the gap created. This may result in crooked or crowded teeth.
- Gum disease – Receding gums can become home for bacteria growth because the former can create huge pockets for bacteria infestation. This may increase the chances of gum disease and even oral infection, which may also spread to the whole mouth.
- TMJ misalignment – It may not seem like a common fallout but even when one tooth shifts out of its original position, it matters. Tooth loss may have an impact on the Temporomandibular Joints (TMJ) connecting your jaw with the skull. A common side effect of this may be severe and persistent headaches, pain, and general discomfort.
- Nutritional changes – When you don’t have one or more teeth in your mouth, it can affect your eating patterns. You may not be able to chew or bite (in case of a front tooth) certain hard foods. Therefore, you may have to resort to changes in your diet to be able to eat more comfortably. This could also have an impact on your body nutrition as a result of the substitution of some foods.
Options to Avail for Dental Care in Burbank
My Dentist Burbank dental office offers a wide variety of dentistry services to replace a broken tooth. Most importantly, these will help save you of all the oral problems. The following are some of the treatment options as suggested by Dr. Sahakyan, the best dentist in Burbank.
- Dental implants – This is a permanent solution to replacing the missing tooth.
- A dental bridge – A bridge is an artificial tooth crated by your Burbank dentist to look and feel exactly like your own natural teeth. It can last several years provided maintained well with good oral hygiene practices.
- Partial denture – One of the best options to cover up for the loss created by a single tooth or more than one in a row. They can even be created in the same tooth color as your natural teeth.
Losing a tooth is evitable, at least to a certain extent. Of course, barring natural accident or personal injury, the loss can be avoided by taking proper care of your teeth. This can avoid problems such as tooth and gum decay, leading to tooth loss eventually.
Talk to the Burbank dentist Dr. Sahakyan at 1-818-578-2332 on the dental care options for lost teeth. Book an appointment for a consultation with the expert dentist today.