What Can You Do When You Have a Chipped Tooth?
A chipped or broken tooth is not uncommon, yet can be quite frustrating and painful too. One or more of your teeth may chip or break under the following circumstances:
- Extreme pressure caused due to grinding teeth (a habit some develop in childhood, especially at night)
- Biting or chewing hard foods which the tooth may not be able to bear, such as ice cubes, hard nuts, or licorice-like candy
- A hard blow to the face, particularly the mouth area, because of accident or injury
While these incidents are commonplace and can happen to anyone, it’s not easy to stay with a chipped or broken tooth. If the tooth is permanent, concerns over appearance are higher. Thankfully, there is a solution to this problem.
How to Take Care of a Chipped Tooth?
The very first thing you should do when you find yourselves in such a situation is to contact your dentist in Burbank. Dentists at My Dentist Burbank would advise you on the corrective treatment for your chipped tooth.
However, until you can get there, we suggest trying the following for immediate relief –
- In case of mild to severe pain, you may take your usual painkiller from the nearest pharmacy.
- Saltwater rinsing of the mouth helps.
- Sometimes the chip may result in a sharp edge near the tooth or gum area. Cover it with a piece of wax paraffin to reduce discomfort. Alternatively, you can use sugarless chewing gum to prevent your tongue or inner lip/cheek from the cut.
- If you need to eat, stick to soft foods. Try not to bite on the chipped tooth.
Dental Care for Chipped Tooth in Burbank
If you notice cuts or breaks, you should treat them during a single visit to the dentist’s office in Burbank. However, if the tooth has severe damage because of some reason, it may be relatively time-consuming and costly too. In any case, consult with our dentists before undergoing the treatment on what works best for you.
To repair a chipped or broken tooth, your Burbank dentist might consider performing any of the following:
- Bonding – A type of dental filling, that dentists do when the tooth is only slightly chipped. For instance, just a small piece of enamel broke off. In this case, the dentist might fix the damage with a dental filling. If the tooth to repair is a front tooth, which is visible when you smile, they might suggest bonding. This procedure uses a tooth-colored composite resin for filling.
- Dental cap –When a large piece of the tooth has been damaged; the professionals place it. The tooth would’ve either broken off because of injury or dental decay. Here, your expert dentist at Burbank dental clinic would grind or file the remaining part of the tooth. He would then cover it using a dental cap or crown shaped like a tooth. The dentist places this to protect the tooth from further damage and also to improve its appearance.
- Dental veneers – It’s a thin shells made of tooth-colored porcelain or resin composite material. It’s designed to cover the entire front part of the tooth with a thicker material. This helps replace the part of the tooth that’s broken or chipped. Porcelain veneers are ideal for front teeth.
These are just some of the treatment options that the experts recommend for a chipped tooth at the Burbank dental clinic. You may call us to book an appointment at 818-578-2332 and visit our dental office for a consultation on the best option in your case.