Best Ways to Protect Your Teeth
We may not often realize this but our teeth are the most precious part of our body. This is because permanent teeth, once lost, don’t restore. It is therefore important to take good care of them while they last. Accidents or mistakes are only natural. However, as far as possible, we should take careful measures to protect our teeth from dental problems.
The dentists at My Dentist Burbank recommend the following steps to ensure a longer life for our teeth.
How to Protect Your Teeth from Dental Problems?
- Brushing –This is the first and the most important requisite for keeping your teeth clean. Most importantly, once a day brushing in the morning may not be enough. Make sure you brush two times – one after waking up in the morning and once at night before sleep. Besides that, remember to brush teeth each time you eat sticky food like chocolates or sweets.
- Flossing – This is the next important activity of the day after brushing. Make it a practice to floss your teeth at least once daily – morning or night. Flossing helps remove stuck food particles in between the teeth where the toothbrush cannot easily reach.
- Safety – Keep your teeth safe from accidental injuries. As mentioned earlier, once you lose your permanent teeth, you may not get them back. If possible, wear a mouthguard before indulging in physical-contact games like boxing or football. Besides that, avoid getting into a physical fight where a hard blow on the face can cause tooth injury.
- Hard pressure – Don’t use your teeth for purposes other than they’re meant to, i.e., chewing. Cracking up hard nuts with your teeth, opening bottle corks or packaging is not advisable. This can risk chipping or even breaking the teeth.
- Gut –Take good care of it not only for your health but also for good oral hygiene. This is because stomach disorders are linked to bad breath and enamel loss. Therefore, make sure to treat heartburn, acidity, and other gut problems timely to prevent stomach acids from reaching the mouth.
- Diet – Keep a check on what you eat or drink. As far as possible, reduce the intake of sweets, chocolates, or carbonated beverages. These drinks are laden with acidic agents that can erode your tooth enamel. Limit the consumption of soft drinks, cordials, and fruit juices.
- Chlorine – Yet another enemy of your teeth, try and keep away from chlorinated pools. The water there may get too acidic if the pool isn’t chlorinated properly. This can cause tooth damage if the teeth get wet in this water.
- Tooth grinding – Avoid getting into this habit; it isn’t good for your teeth. We start this during childhood years unknowingly but it stays with us even later. This is when teeth grinding can cause problems to permanent teeth such as chipping or enamel loss.
- Awareness – Most important, it’s important to be aware of potential dental issues such as cavities, tooth infection, or gum disease. Your dentist in Burbank can help you learn more about these. Knowing is the first step to working towards something. Hence, it’s good to know why and what you need to take care of.
- Dental visits – Never ignore them. Schedule them in your calendar at least twice a year; once every six months. A visit to your Burbank dentist can help you know of any possible signs of a dental problem. If detected early, these problems can be taken care of without much hassle.
To book an appointment with Dr.Sahakyan at My Dentist Burbank, call 818-578-2332 and visit him for consultation on the best option in your case.