Keys to Controlling Bad Breath
Bad breath can be quite an unpleasant experience for others and an embarrassing one for us too. However, the good news is that there’s a simple yet effective solution to controlling and perhaps doing away with bad breath. Your dentist in Burbank can help.
Common Causes of Bad Breath
It’s important firstly to understand why our breath smells bad. It’s a condition known as halitosis and is a fallout of the following:
- Poor oral hygiene practices
- Mouth infections
- Smoking and drinking
- Intake of unhealthy foods
- Dry mouth
- Respiratory tract infection
- The disease of the kidney, liver, or lungs
- Gastrointestinal problems, such as acid reflux and digestive disorders
- The buildup of plaque on the teeth
Tips to Prevent Bad Breath Problems
Fortunately, bad breath isn’t untreatable. The condition can be brought under control and well in time too so that you can stop feeling embarrassed. If you’ve been facing the problem for a long, just speak to your dentist at Burbank.
- Brushing and flossing every day is one of the best Burbank bad breath tips to follow. These will prevent the formation of plaque on the teeth. Your dentist can help you suggest the ideal toothbrush to be used. Besides that, the type of toothpaste suitable for your teeth, and brushing and flossing techniques can also be learned.
- Use a tongue scraper to clean bacteria off your tongue, which is also responsible for the odor.
- Visit your Burbank dentist once every six months for a thorough dental checkup. Most important, speak to your dentist in Burbank about the need for a professional dental cleaning. Most dentists recommend this to keep dental problems at bay.
- If you have frequent gastric problems, you may consider taking over-the-counter antacids. Yogurt and probiotics also help promote the growth of good bacteria in the stomach. This may keep bad breath in control too.
- Sinus infection is another common culprit for bad breath. Treating congestion and allergies with saline spray, drinking more fluids, or taking nasal steroids, if necessary.
- Avoid taking tobacco products, smoking, or consuming alcohol
- Always brush your teeth and rinse your mouth well after eating smelly foods such as onion, garlic, and the like
- If you like chewing gum, choose the sugarless one. This is because gums contain sugar on which bacteria feed and produce acid. This acid is responsible for the formation of bad breath. Chewing sugarless gum will help trigger saliva production, your mouth’s natural defense mechanism to fight off plaque.
- Gum disease is also another bad breath culprit. Burbank bad breath tips suggest consulting with your dentist if you have one. You may need to see a periodontist for the treatment of gum disease.
- Fiber-rich fruits and vegetables is a great way to clean food particles that stick to your mouth and tongue. Most important, eat lots of raw foods such as celery, apples, and carrots. Besides that, avoid eating too much sugary food as it’s the favorite food of bacteria in your mouth.
To Sum Up
Bad breath is generally a common result of poor oral hygiene practices. If followed properly on an everyday basis, bad odor from your mouth can be averted completely. However, it’s also important to visit your Burbank dentist regularly. This is because your dentist would be able to better judge your dental situation. Any early signs of plaque formation can be detected and treated on time.
To visit My Dentist Burbank clinic, call (818) 578-2332 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sahakyan.